comforting indeed

It’s been over six years but you couldn’t tell last night.
Good friends laughing.
Sharing stories.
Mocking each other.
Arguing over details of events that happened years ago.
Disputing whether or not Jon-Jon ever beat Saylor in air hockey. (He hasn’t)
Mentioning the words “malt liquor of 40’s” and watching Darren roll his eyes.
Catching up on what we do day in and day out.
Still trying to believe that six out of the seven people who called “The Barn” home, now have kids. Frightening.
Laughing so hard that tears come out of my eyes.
Being in a room full of people that I can trust with my life.
United by a bond that can never be broken.
While I may have moved away from Michigan over six years, when I’m back with my friends in Michigan, it doesn’t seem like it at all. We don’t skip a beat. There’s no awkwardness. There are no uncomfortable pauses. There’s no need for everyone to recreate their life stories.
The conversations are instant. The familiarity of our friendship has never diminished.
Sure there may be minor details that people don’t know about but it’s easy to get everyone up to speed. And then everyone’s back to reminiscing about college and post-college life.
It’s comforting to know that no matter where I go. The hundreds of miles between us. The fact that I have to plan a trip, take a plane and rent a car. The time difference. That we’re on the opposite side of the country. No matter what: my friends will always be there for me and me for them.
It’s very comforting indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top